Facebook event page
Asinabka Film & Media Arts Festival
51B Young Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1S 3H6
ASINABKA FILM & MEDIA ARTS FESTIVAL
Celebrating Indigenous Arts In Algonquin Territory
AUGUST 9-13, 2017
Ottawa, ON, Canada
The Asinabka Film & Media Arts Festival is excited for our 6th annual festival, screening the best in Indigenous film from Canada and around the world.
This year's festival takes place over 5 days, and includes our traditional opening night outdoor film screening on the beautiful Victoria Island, 3 evenings of film in the Theatre at the Canadian Museum of Nature — Musée canadien de la nature, Art Openings at Gallery 101 & Platform Gallery, as well as Matinee Film Screenings, a Midnight Film Screening, and a full day of live contemporary Indigenous music.
Our 2017 Program and our entire festival schedule is available on our website:
• Opening Night Outdoor Screening — Rumble: The Indians Who Rocked the World & Community Gathering on Victoria Island (Asinabka) with Ottawa River Singers, Silla + Rise and others
• Film programs at the Museum of Nature Theatre with International Documentaries, International Dramatic Shorts, Maori Short Film Program, Spotlight on Indigenous film from China, Experimental Shorts Program, and our Midnight Screening of alternative and quirky films
• An entire day of Music as a part of our new initiative «Asin-Fest Music Series», featuring Canadian and International Indigenous artists, musicians and VJ's — Full Music line-up on our website!
• An Opening of contemporary Indigenous Art at Gallery 101, curated by Charlotte Hoelke, on the theme of Decolonial Love, + Tripple V: VR, Video Games, Video Art Opening at Platform Gallery
• A Maori Film spotlight with filmmakers Hiona Henare and Leo Koziol in attendance, co-presented with the Wairoa Maori Film Festival.
• A Film Spotlight on Indigenous films from China, with a delegation of Chinese academics & filmmakers. (Details TBA)
• «Bee Nation» and «All My Father's Relations» Co-Presented with the One World Film Festival.
• A screening of films made by participants in imagineNative's youth and emerging filmmakers workshop
* Virago Nation Indigenous burlesque artists will be performing at Gallery 101 for the Body Language Art show and teaching burlesque dancing and nipple tassle making workshops
* Inkdigenous Tattoos will be onsite at Gallery 101, full safety and health procedures will be followed
* Indigiarts and other local artisans will be available onsite at Asinabka (Victoria Island) and Gallery 101
* Catering on Opening Night provided by Corazon De Maiz and DeRienzo's — corazondemaizottawa.com
— CONTACT INFO
PO Box 307, Station A
Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 8V3
— Asinabka Festival takes place on the unsurendered and unceded territory of the Algonquin Nation. Chi-Miigwech to our Algonquin friends and hosts. All of our events are intended to be open and accessible for everyone to attend, but please note that some film content may be for mature audiences. Many of the events at our festival are free of charge, including our Opening Night Outdoor Welcome and Film Screening on Victoria Island. We do charge a small Admission Fee to most of our film screenings, but no one will be turned away for lack of funds. Racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, and ableism are not welcome at our Festival.
Our main screening venue this year will be the Theatre at the Canadian Museum of Nature. According to their website it is fully accessible. They have an elevator that goes downstairs to the Theatre, which is also wheelchair accessible:
Our Art Opening and Music Programming will take place at Gallery 101, which is also accessible. The Gallery is on the ground level and has an accessible bathroom.
We're also planning to do our Opening Night Outdoor Film screenings on Victoria Island at Aboriginal Experiences. It isn't the most accessible. There is a parking lot very close to the screening area, which is down a gravel road, and down a slight grassy hill, to the screening area which is down by the Ottawa River.
Fo any questions about our venues, please feel free to get in contact with us via email.