***NEW BLOCK of Kizomba classes starts Monday July 10th!!! ***
NEW BLOCK: Level 1A, Level 2 — Intricate Syncopations & Pace Changes, Level 2 — Musicality
NOTE: Please bring indoor shoes to wear on the dance floor. No outside shoes permitted! Please arrive 15 minutes early to register.
DATES & TIMES:
• Block of 4 classes on Mondays July 10th until Monday July 31st:
— Level 1A: 6:00pm – 7:15pm
— Level 2 — Intricate Syncopations & Pace Changes: 7:00pm – 8:30pm
— Level 2 — Musicality: 8:30pm – 9:30pm
• Arts Court (STUDIO B, 2nd FLOOR), 2 Daly Ave, Ottawa, ON, K1N 6E2
• Studio B Directions from Main Entrance — From main entrance go left through doors. Take Elevator to 2nd Floor and then turn left. Studio is on left-hand side.
• There is FREE parking after 6pm on Daly ave as well as Dalhousie, Besserer & Waller.
• Kizomba 4-week Block: $60 ($15/class)
• Kizomba (1A & 2) 4-week Block: $70 ($8.75/class) **
• Both Kizomba 2 (Syncopations & Musicality) 4-week Block (SAVE $30!): $90 ($11.25/class) **
• All Kizomba (1A & Both 2) 4-week Block (SAVE $40!): $90 ($7.50/class) **
• Drop-in: $20
• Drop-in (2 classes): $30 ($15/class) **
• Drop-in (3 classes): $35 ($11.67/class) **
STUDENT PRICES (Full-time, under 30 – must present ID):
• Kizomba 4-week Block: $40 ($10/class)
• Kizomba (1A/1B & 2) 4-week Block: $50 ($6.25/class) **
• Both Kizomba 2 (Syncopations & Musicality) 4-week Block (SAVE $20!): $60 ($7.50/class) **
• All Kizomba (1A & Both 2) 4-week Block (SAVE $30!): $60 ($5/class) **
• Student Drop-in Kizomba: $15
• Student Drop-in Kizomba (2 classes): $25 ($12.50/class) **
• Student Drop-in Kizomba (3 classes): $30 ($10/class) **
****************** IMPORTANT NOTES ******************
• Levels 1A & 1B must be completed before progressing to level 2. • Students enrolling in level 2 MUST be completely comfortable with all footwork patterns learned in levels 1A & 1B (see descriptions). Otherwise, it is recommended to REPEAT levels 1A or 1B until the student is completely comfortable with these foundational patterns.
• Students progressing to level 3 must be completely comfortable with all concepts covered in Level 2. If you are unsure of which class to take, please ask Lynnette or Mike.
• You can transfer the drop-in payment into a package price after the first class only.
• Sorry, no refunds or carry-overs for missed classes. Cash only please.
• Level 1 (beginner ~ 2 months): Intended for complete beginners or those who want to review their foundation in kizomba. Students will learn the basic 1, 2 and 3, balance walk, quarter turns and men's and women's exits, botofogo, virgola, estrela & simple blocks, dips & body movement.
• Level 2 (intermediate ~ 6 months): Taken after completing level 1A & 1B. Each of the 6 blocks can be completed in any order. Students will build upon the foundation they aquired by learning various concepts including:
— Funky Pivots & Walk Arounds
— Cool Dips & Blocks
— Sensual Styling & Tarraxhina
— Intricate Syncopations & Pace Changes
— Playful Leg Sweeps & Lifts
• Level 3 (advanced ongoing)
Taken after completing all of levels 1 & 2. Students will learn more complex patterns including changes in timing and syncopations to make their dancing more fluid & musical. Students will learn various concepts including:
— Crazy Syncopations & Patterns
— Slow Motion & Timing
— Spicy Styling & Tarraxhina
— Groovy Dips & Blocks
— Space Management
— Advanced Leg Sweeps & Lifts
• Men & Ladies Styling
For those who want to learn body movement particular to kizomba. Men will work on loosening the hips, maintaining balance when walking, proper shoulder disassociation during saidas, fluidity in transitions, body speed intention, and more. Ladies will work on ginga (bum & hip) styling as well as waves, circles, figure 8s, bumps, weight transition, shoulder disassociation & transitions.
Tarraxhina is a partner dance in body movement. It can be danced to tarraxhina music or to parts of kizomba music that have tarraxhina. Students will work in partners and learn how to lead & follow various body waves, circles, figure 8s, bumps, pops, snake & more.
Semba is a traditional Angolan dance that comes from Masemba meaning the «touch of the bellies». It is a festive and joyful partner dance that laid the foundation for kizomba to be born. Students will learn the basic foundation of semba including basic 1, 2 and 3, left and right turns (virgula), circular walking (corridinho), star (estrela), men's and women's exits (saidas), as well as simple tricks.
Join our choreography team and perform at various events in Ottawa and the surrounding areas! Performing makes you a better dancer, allowing you to master your technique while having fun. It takes a minimum of 2-3 months to learn and perfect the choreography and may include a combination of kizomba, semba, styling, tricks & afrohouse. Students are expected to purchase their own costumes (under $100).
********* LYNNETTE'S BIO **********
Owner of Capital Kizomba, Lynnette has been teaching kizomba dance classes and organizing monthly socials & special events in Ottawa since 2012. A pioneer in building the kizomba scene in Ottawa, she has participated in congresses nationally and internationally and trained extensively in Paris and Portugal with top international instructors such as Afrolatin Connection, Albir and Sara, Ennuel and Hakima, and many more. In July 2016, Lynnette completed 2 weeks of instructor training with Master Petchu & Vanessa in Lisbon, Portugal where she further developed her foundation in kizomba, semba and musicality. In January 2016 she organized Ottawa’s first 2-day kizomba bootcamp where she taught alongside internationally renowned instructor Ennuel Ivverson from Paris. In April 2017 she brought Laurent & Adeline from Paris for a 2-day bootcamp on Kizomba Musicality.
By applying her 12 years of classroom teaching experience (graduating from the University of Ottawa) to her passion for kizomba, Lynnette has developed a variety of kizomba class levels as well as her first performance team. Lynnette & Mike will be teaching at this year's Ottawa Salsa Convention and their troupe will be performing at various festivals in Ottawa and Montreal this summer.
********* MIKE'S BIO **********
Having a full-time occupation that involves training and delivering skill-based instructional courses, Mike takes this passion and applies it on the dance floor. Mike started dancing Kizomba in the spring of 2015 having been introduced to it by Lynnette. From that point on, like so many others do with this beautiful dance, he fell in love with it. His dance & instructional level continuously develop as he regularly attends congresses & workshops, as well as takes private lessons with national & international instructors. To date, he's received training from artists such as Albir and Sarah, Ennuel Iverson and Cyrille to name a few. He has also participated in kizomba congresses in both Canada and the U.S.
In July 2016, Mike took his instructional background to the next level by pursuing his passion in Lisbon where he completed 2 weeks of instructor training in kizomba, semba and musicality with Mestre Petchu & Vanessa Ginga Pura themselves. Following that, he participated in private classes and workshops in Paris where he further developed his skills and musicality. Mike choreographed both of Capital Kizomba's performance troupes to date and will be teaching and performing at this year's Ottawa Salsa Convention.